Danish Gambling Authority
The Danish Gambling Authority
The Danish Gambling Authority was founded and empowered to oversee all forms of gambling, including lotteries, horse and dog racing, betting machines and online gambling. While the rules governing land-based casinos and race tracks have varied very little over the years, the onslaught of online gambling in the 2000s required new laws be put in place to facilitate the collection of taxes and to protect citizens.
The primary responsibilities of the Danish Gambling Authority include setting policy and regulation, coordination with the Danish Tax Authority, licensing and compliance.
The Gambling Act
In 2010, the Danish government passed The Gambling Act, which set forth all the guidelines for both gamblers and gaming service providers. In doing so, Denmark became the most regulated gambling destination within the Scandinavian faction of countries.
The Gambling Act contain regulations that go forward to address the inclusion of online gambling as a legal form of gaming within the country. The regulations are focused protecting young people and vulnerable problem gamblers from predatory practices and advertising, assuring that online gaming results are fair and honest, to regulate the number of approved sites and to protect the gambling industry from criminal activity.
Under the Gambling Act, online gambling is defined as any gambling that is provided through remote communication. This would include sports, horse racing, poker, bingo and online casinos.
The following represents a list of requirements that gaming providers must follow in order to gain and maintain licensing.
- All licensing applications must be submitted along with an application fee.
- The applicant (all relevant parties) must submit to a background check and financial review.
- Applicants must setup a dedicated Danish bank account for player funds.
- They must provide adequate protection against the inclusion in gambling activities of minors and problem gamblers.
- The site must be registered with the Danish Business Authority and the Danish Tax Authority in order to facilitate the payment of "duties" or taxes on profits from gaming operations.
- The site must maintain adequate resources to meet all obligations to winning players. They must also maintain financial resources to maintain operations. The site's financial and accounting information must be audited by and independent accounting firm on a periodic basis.
- All games must be monitored and certified for fair and honest results.
- Proper site security measures should be in place and certified to protect player confidentiality and financial transaction data.
- The sites primary infrastructure must be physically located in Denmark.
Finally, the Danish Gambling Authority is available to help resolve issues between players and online sites. The group's compliance area is required to maintain open communications with the primary contacts at each online casino in order to assure compliance his given a high priority.
In Denmark, sports, horse racing, poker, bingo and online casinos are regulated by Danish Gambling Authority under the Gambling Act of 2010. Due to the list of gambling regulations, the jurisdiction is regarded as one of the safest in the Scandinavia and Europe as a whole.
Click to visit Danish Gambling Authority website.
By Denise Marie